Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Rest in Peace - Jan 9 2024

 

Rest in Peace

Jan 9 2024


The mattress is well past its due date.

The sag in the middle.

The badly worn material.

The nasty stain

where the coffee spilled.


The pillow, as well;

lumpy, compressed

with a vaguely musty scent.


But I'm attached to them.

Averse to change.

A creature of habit.

So I persist,

like child

clinging to a tattered blanket

who refuses to let go.


All the sweet dreams I've had there.

The merciful sleeps

when I craved escape.

The escapades

it would be indiscreet

for a gentleman to mention.


I resist,

but they’re keen to sell me

memory foam, polyfoam, hybrid, latex,

pillowtop and innerspring.

Full

Queen

Twin,

California King.


Will it be with me to the end?

A well-lived life,

then dying at home

in bed

surrounded by loved ones.


A trusty mattress

a spent man

and a shallow last breath,

then the final dreamless rest.

A loyal man

who lived frugally

and made things last,

ending his life

just as it was lived.


No comments: