Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Field Trip - Jan 21 2024

 

Field Trip

Jan 21 2024


Troops of kids

giddy with freedom

tromp through the stately halls

of vaulted ceilings

polished marble

spacious mezzanines.


Clump

around glass-walled cases,

joking

laughing

pulling faces.


Shuffle restlessly,

bored

by priceless objects

historic tableaus.


And gaze up in awe

at dinosaur bones

that look majestically antediluvian.


So out of place

in this sober space

of quiet contemplation,

its great halls and galleries

precious collections.

Too much energy

eagerness

irreverence

In the middle of a quiet day

when they should be in school.


Like a splash of colour

on shades of grey,

a flat screen

that springs to life,

the museum was a courtly man

sleeping soundly

bolted awake.


I remember school trips like this;

when all the rules were bent

and our heads were filled

with excitement

license

liberation.


But it's been so long

since I've felt that way.

Gazed up in awe

at anything.

Felt I owned the place.

Since I wasn't numb

caged

chasing my tail.


So long

since I felt so wired

free

full of possibility.


And so long

since the feeling of belonging

was anywhere near as strong.

That small world

where I felt accepted

and knew my place,

secure

in the protective circle

of classmates and friends.


No comments: