Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Good Samaritan - Jan 8 2024

 

Good Samaritan

Jan 8 2024


A car stopped on the shoulder,

an indistinct figure

leaning in

under a propped-up hood.


Fiddling randomly

with who-knows-what,

because, like me

he knows nothing of ignition,

internal combustion,

throttles, rods, exhaust.


But wants to look manly.

Is hoping for a sign.

Can't think of anything else to do,

night falling

stranded in the snow.


Eyes fixed

to the slippery road

and my windshield icing-up

I caught just a glimpse as I passed;

there, in my headlights, then gone,

vanishing into the murk.


I should have stopped

offered a ride

seen if I could help.

Not that I'm handy

but at last there’s moral support.


But, of course, I'd already gone too far.

Surely he’d called for a tow.

I couldn't safely stop.

And anyway, someone else will come along

soon enough.


The golden rule?

The good samaritan?

My Karmic score?

Next time, I vowed,

continuing to drive

warm and dry

in the cozy interior,

protected

by clever rationalization

and the anonymity

of modern life.


Do failure to act

and sins of omission

make me a bad person?

The small mercies

I churlishly withhold?

Will there be payback

as the moral universe

turns its gaze my way?


But life doesn't work like that.

Virtue is not rewarded

and vice gets off scot-free;

there is no justice

no afterlife.

The only sanction

is having to live with yourself.


And, some day

finding your own self

stranded on the side of the road

hood up

as car after car flies by,

no cell signal

and the engine ticking down

as it quickly loses heat.


No comments: