Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Winter Rest - Jan 7 2024

 

Winter Rest

Jan 7 2024


The port has frozen over.


The big lakers

with their bright red hulls

have all departed,

heavily laden

belching exhaust.

I miss seeing the ships

tucked into their cozy harbour

like little matchbox toys,

twinkling cheerfully

like a city of light

against the dark night sky.


The squat tug

powered by two massive diesels

and sheathed in battered steel plate

no longer chugs back and forth,

breaking the ice

and churning through the slurry.

Too thick, too cold,

even for this

persistent little workhorse.


The sailboats, of course

are all onshore

or frozen into their slips.

No more festive sails and sleek hulls

heeling through the froth

in brilliant summer sun,

looking like little water bugs

flitting this way and that.

I would stand and watch,

wishing I was out there

joining in the fun.


But now

the bustling harbour

is at its winter rest,

a flat expanse of white

under dull grey skies.

No reason now

to take in the view.


Or wouldn’t be

if this fallow season

hadn't a beauty all its own.

So I interrupt a busy day,

taking my time

and feeling the calm

wash quietly over me.


A couple of gulls

who somehow survive the cold

have taken wing,

swooping low

in acrobatic flight

in pleasing synchrony.

I envy their freedom,

coasting easily

on the dense winter air

with the place all to themselves.


Watch them head out

to open water

too far for me to follow.


No comments: