Monday, January 1, 2024

Birthright - Jan 1 2024

 

Birthright

Jan 1 2024


It was an article of faith

we didn’t pay to park.


My stubborn father

would drive for blocks

to find a free spot.

Circle the neighbourhood

as I kept watch.

Pounce on empty slots

with metered time

still on the clock.

The long walk back

was simply the cost

of a dollar saved.


And an actual parking garage?

Perhaps when royalty came to visit

or my mother shot him that glare!


Which is how it goes in families;

habits good and bad

passed from parent to child.

My birthright

was frugality.

I learned, by exposure

that car ownership

includes a place to park

free of charge.


The reward is not material.

It's more about winning;

as if free parking

was a competitive sport,

the thrill of victory

a reward in itself.


And an homage

to a long departed dad,

looking down on his boy

with fatherly pride.


No comments: