Monday, October 3, 2022

Body Decoration - Aug 22 2022

 

Body Decoration

Aug 22 2022


I've never been tattooed.

Flash no rings or gaudy bling

no ostentatious piercings.


In fact, am mostly unimproved.

Because for me

comfort rules,

and a practice of simplicity

suits my world view.

So I wear old clothes

sport tattered shoes.

My hair is brush-cut short

beard closely trimmed,

the crooked tooth

left unfixed.


I'm decidedly old-school,

from a day when only ex-cons

and sailors on shore leave,

Russian mafiosi

and circus performers

wore tattoos.


When respectable people

were uniformly well-groomed.

When tattooing

was too crude to be art.

When pious folk

believed defiling your body

offended God.


And the lovely young woman

with one small tattoo

in an intimate place.

A work of art

to which she gave great thought

but kept to herself;

no need

for others to approve or admire.


Pain, for the sake of beauty.

And a private act of creation

only her lover will know.


No comments: