Monday, October 3, 2022

Riding Shotgun - Aug 28 2022

 

Riding Shotgun

Aug 28 2022


No room up front.

No riding shotgun.


The passenger seat

with its usual clutter

of cast aside junk.

Coffee cups,

scraps of paper, crumpled-up.

A petrified sandwich,

soiled wrappers,

a half-drunk can

of flat brown soda

rocking back and forth.


So how odd was it

that he kept his house immaculate,

dressed fashionably,

fastidiously combed, trimmed, brushed.

Not to mention flossing.


The compartmentalized life.

How we carve out privileged spaces

reward ourselves with licence

learn wilfull blindness.


And he didn't mind

the messy car,

obliging friends

to ride behind.

The failed jobs

neglected kids

abandoned wife.


But still, he did well

keeping up appearances.

And from the outside

lovingly washed and waxed

you couldn't tell

the car might very well

be a hazard to human health.


I watched

as he adjusted the rear view mirror

to bring me into view.

The mirror

smudged with fingerprints

he never turned on himself.


An unusual origin story for this poem. I rarely remember my dreams. But this morning, I woke up from a fitful sleep in the middle of a dream in which I was writing a poem that began as this one does. I distinctly remember the series of “a” rhymes my dreaming self thought very clever.

So, later in the day, I thought I'd carry on with it, not having any idea where it would go. Which, frankly, is how most of my poems are written. Like a lot of writers, I don't really know what I'm thinking until I write it down.

Still, this one's a puzzler. Because the character here isn't me, nor is he anyone I know. I never eat in the car, and abhor sweet fizzy drinks. No wife or kids, never been fired. And if I'm anything, I'm too introspective and self-critical: not just looking into a mirror, but placed between two of them, looking down an infinite series of smaller and smaller selves.


No comments: