Friday, October 21, 2022

A Bigger Back Seat - Oct 18 2022

 

A Bigger Back Seat

Oct 18 2022


My first car

was cramped, under-powered

unsafe at any speed.

Mushy brakes

made stopping an adventure,

and the grease-encrusted engine

ran rough

and stunk of unburned gas.


But I loved that car.

Took pride

in driving stick,

despite the finicky gears

and slipping clutch.

The car was freedom.

Made me feel

like a real adult.

And was even fun to drive,

or kind of.


Much the same

as was learning to ride a bike.

Especially back in the day

when we were free-range kids,

before parent was a verb

and there was no such thing as play-dates

and helmets were unheard of.

The exhilarating speed.

The edge of danger

free-wheeling downhill

feet in the air.

The access it gave

to the larger neighbourhood

this shy kid never knew

was even out there.


A heavy one-speed clunker

painted candy-apple red;

an ugly colour

that was never cool

not even then.

But on it

I was a cowboy on his stallion

chasing cattle thieves,

a motorcycle cop

siren on

fighting crime.


And in the badly used Honda

I was self-reliant;

the designated driver;

a lady's man.


Or would have been, I told myself

if only the gear shift

hadn't been in the way,

the windows were tinted,

the back seat bigger.

If only the passenger seat

didn't stick to your pants

with some indelible substance

unknown to Man.


Now, I drive a nice car

with power everything

that looks like all the rest.

While the old bike

is rusting in some landfill,

the Honda

recycled steel.


But the first car

like the first kiss

is something you never forget.

Just as I remember

all the girls who were smarter than me;

who would never consent

to riding shotgun

on such an iffy seat

in such a suspect car

unsafe at any speed.


No comments: