Monday, October 3, 2022

Picture Window - Aug 20 2022

 

Picture Window

Aug 20 2022


I sit facing a large picture window.


Through it, I witness wild storms.

Wind blasting

lightning flashing

snow whiting out.

Rain lashing the leaves,

heavy hail

dashing against the glass

clattering off the sill.


Through it, I watch the seasons change.

Not quick cut, like some action flick,

but more romance

art house;

a lingering cross-fade,

soft focus

unrushed.


Through it, I see the day progress.

The light

imperceptibly changing,

until I notice pink-tinged clouds,

underside blushed

by setting sun.

Then the trees, blurred in shadow

against the background of sky

which is still getting light.

And when it's gone too far

find I'm sitting in darkness

squinting to read.


Through it, I savour stillness.

Those illuminated moments

frozen in time

when the world outside is at rest;

the sun's progress paused,

the wind holding its breath,

no weather to speak of.


When even the squirrels

have stopped their chattering

and settled down.


While the birds

instead of calling for mates

squalling for food

and squabbling for space,

as the male of the species

tends to do,

are calmly grooming

preening

soaking-up sun.

Perching contentedly,

as if they, too

were in quiet contemplation.


I sit quietly,

a detached observer

with a window on the world

looking out.

Feeling safe

behind its triple pane

of tempered glass.


No comments: