Saturday, October 8, 2022

September Mist - Sept 18 2022

 

September Mist

Sept 18 2022


In the headlamp's diffuse glare

the heavy fog

became impenetrable.

Where all I could see

were tiny drops of mist

dancing in the light

right before my eyes;

like molecules

in Brownian motion.


So I navigated blind;

no illumination,

just the vague outline of trees

on either side

against an overcast sky,

and the wet country road

a slightly lighter opening.


A warm September night

that should have been crisp and cool

was as muggy as a clammy hug

from a plump maiden aunt

smothered in perfume.

The pea soup fog

muffled sound,

and my world shrunk

to the murky nimbus

that clung within inches of me.


It was claustrophobic

but also comforting.

Because the world is too big

too loud

too real,

while this seemed magical;

a warm embrace

exempt from time and space

and somehow effortless.


So I walked,

levitating over the empty road

like the tiny perfect spheres

that enclosed me,

dancing weightlessly

on the saturated air

that filled the deepening dark.


No comments: