Friday, December 16, 2022

Sunk Cost - Dec 10 2022

 

Sunk Cost

Dec 10 2022


The line lengthened.


People jostling behind me.


New ones

steadily drifting in,

attaching themselves

to the ragged zigzag tail.


And in front

the fortunate early arrivals,

who are closely packed

and ever more anxiously

glancing up at the time.


I'm congenitally impatient

hate waiting.

So listen closely,

and you’d hear me muttering complaints

through clenched teeth

restlessly cooling my heels.


And the guy ahead

who said he was holding her place

and let the lady enter,

ushering her in

like some kind of royal contessa.


Granted, she was beautiful,

and we all know

the dispensation afforded beauty;

the deference given,

exceptions made.


So I bit my tongue

and looked away,

focusing on thoughts

of generosity

chivalry

graciousness.


Silently fuming

about rudeness

injustice

presumption.


But I was a gentleman

and said nothing

as the line

shuffled desultorily ahead

and grew ever longer behind me.


Worth the wait

we all must have thought;

calculating gains and losses,

placing a value

on our privileged spot.


The sunk cost of time;

forever lost

      . . . and even more to follow.


No comments: