Sunday, December 18, 2022

Sated - Dec 17 2022

 

Sated

Dec 17 2022


I push away from the table

tip back in my chair,

flushed

belt undone

over-stuffed.

My gut protests

senses are dulled.


The festive meal.

The compulsion

to take one more bite.

The fear of missing out

on the next delectable offering;

the irresistible succession

of holiday fare,

so lovingly prepared

and graciously served.

Special occasions

are a license to indulge;

the usual rules suspended

one's regimen ignored.

As if even for Stoics

self-restraint

goes out the door.


My stomach groans.

Eyes glaze over.

The room swims.

Dessert, she queries

so it sounds like a question

but really is not,

shovelling pie onto my plate

with a well-practised flourish.

My favourite, I offer

with a strained smile.

And not wanting to be rude

pick up my fork

and eat even more.


No comments: