Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Smitten - Dec 5 2022

 

Smitten

Dec 5 2022




The puppy eyes.

The stubby legs and pug nose

and hunger for life.

Hunger, period.


I was tempted.

But there's always something,

it's never a good time.


And we are settled in our ways

the old dog and I;

septuagenarians

who can both be cantankerous

and unreasonably stubborn,

but have learned to live with each other's

bad habits

and prickly dispositions.


Like an old married couple,

who long ago stopped trying

but keep muddling on.


A good home, they said.

Some small children would be best,

a large fenced yard.


Which aren’t quite us.

Nevertheless, we could use a change

need some younger blood.

And what could be a more perfect time

than the coming summer;

when, I promise myself

I'll definitely take the plunge.


Meanwhile

the old girl is twitching in her sleep,

sawing logs

and emitting strangled yelps.

While I'm scrolling pictures

of bright-eyed pups

who are up to no good,

smiling like a goofy kid

as my resistance quickly melts.


No comments: