Sunday, December 25, 2022

Out of Sorts - Dec 23 2022

 

Out of Sorts

Dec 23 2022


Under the weather.

Out of sorts.

Indisposed.


I say such things

to excuse my absence

explain why the house is a mess.

Even though, in plain English

I'm sick;

nothing to do with disposition

or the weather.


It's as if sickness was stigmatized;

some kind of weakness

bad attitude

flawed character.

And then there's contagion, of course;

people keeping their distance

averting their heads.

The leper

exiled to his colony

behind its locked gates.


Actually, it's a hero's tale   —

an evil virus

battling my immunity,

a story of perseverance

and contending with misery.


When I was young and immortal

I was amused when old people consoled themselves

at least I’ve got my health.

But afflicted with fever, headache, congestion

and too exhausted to leave my bed

I have learned humility.

Health is everything.


And in sickness, we are all the same;

miserable, whiny, dependent.

Under the weather

and hardly myself.


No comments: