Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Of Portents and Auguries - April 19 2023

 

Of Portents and Auguries

April 19 2023


There is no crystal ball.

No reading of palms

tea leaves

entrails.

Prediction mostly fails

because the future is unknowable.


Death and taxes, they say,

are the only certainties.

And, as well

that men will always be at war

somewhere on the planet,

the rains won’t come

or come too late,

and love and pain

are inextricable.


Both of my long-lived parents

slipped into dementia

as they entered old age.

So, is this where I'll end up

in the fullness of time?

It can't be said for sure

but the odds don’t favour me.


So I pay my taxes

contemplate death

keep my mind active.


The fortune teller said

I'd meet a stranger

receive good news

find a treasure from my past.

Nothing about confusion

or acting out.

Then took my palm in her hand

and foretold a long life.

Which is what we all want to hear.


Good news from a stranger, I thought.

What more could one ask?


No comments: