Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Accumulation - APril 23 2023

 

Accumulation

April 23 2023


Encumbrances

dust collectors

junk.


The stuff

I surround myself with.


Yes, it weighs me down.

Brands me

as a shallow bourgeoisie,

invites anxious comparison.


But these possessions also anchor me,

here, in the place of my choosing.

Are comforting

in their constancy,

remind me of my history.


The trinkets and tchotchkes.

The ornaments and curios.

The bric-a-brac and gimcracks

gewgaws, and knickknacks

and rare objets d'art.


I could choose to live

in some spare Scandinavian space,

painted an antiseptic white

and filled only with light

and severe Nordic furniture.


But my familiar things

fill me with delight,

even if they're corny

or shamelessly sentimental.

And then the tasteful ones,

kept

for the sake of beauty

Either way,

more than enough

to justify accumulation.


I know, that after I'm gone

no one will want this stuff.

But for now, I’m here,

along with the things

that belong to me

and I to them.


Good company

on the long uncertain journey.


No comments: