Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Despondency - April 26 2023

 

Despondency

April 26 2023


When I consider my state of melancholy

what comes to mind

is despair.


Say it out loud

and the word itself

comes out like a sigh,

not so much ending

as fading away

in a spent exhalation of gloom;

a deflated balloon

shrivelled and limp

and emptied of air.

Like onomatopoeia

it sounds like what it is.


Literally, the loss of hope;

of espoir

and espèrance.


It's not me, it’s the world.

Of which we have proven ourselves

unworthy;

squandering our birthright,

reneging on our God-given role

as custodian.

And even if you don't believe

in a higher power,

it would be hard to deny

how greedy we've been

how irresponsible.


Of course melancholy

doesn't need much help.

Because what could sound more despondent

than black bile,

a sour bilious darkness

that leaves you passive

and powerless.


When even false hope

offers rescue and respite.

If, that is, hope can ever be false.

Because the feeling is real

even if prospects are bleak.

Just a glimmer

from the bottom of a deep crevasse,

straining to look up

its steep-sided walls

at the small window of light.


When I wrote that Tucker Carlson poem (Shattered Glass), the opening litany included false hope, and that's what it was going to be about.

It was originally (I think):

False hope

phoney wars

imagined fears.

But then fake news fit better with the other two, while false hope seemed a distraction. And from there, the poem ended up taking me in a very different direction. (After all, I’m not really writing; I’m taking dictation!)

So I decided to try again.


No comments: