Wednesday, April 26, 2023

A Splash of Colour - April 20 2023

 

A Splash of Colour

April 20 2023


I slump through the crowd

in salt-stained sweats

and rumpled hoodie,

eyes on the ground

directly ahead,

hands thrust in my pockets.


Scuffed runners

and dark colours

from black to greys.


I am incognito

on a sea of such people,

most of us dressed

for comfort and warmth.


Some would say

a sign of disrespect

and the end of civilization.


But why present yourself

inauthentically?

Because we are not fancy people

putting on airs;

we’re not fooling anyone.


Work, kids, chores.

Winter slush

and short dull days.


Then her,

breezing by, turning heads;

a splash of colour

gleaming smile,

laughter light as air.


This is Oz, after Kansas,

a sun-dappled upland

after the storm.

This is why

you take time to dress,

winter or not.


And I would,

if anonymity

weren't so comfortable,

a uniform

didn't pander to my inner sloth.


So I follow her with my eyes

as she recedes into the throng.

And after she has disappeared

begin to wonder

just what I really saw.

Was it her?

Or a waking dream

as I sleepwalk through life?


No comments: