Saturday, April 15, 2023

60% By Weight - April 11 2023

 

60% By Weight

April 11 2023


Water pools

on saturated ground,

runs off

where the frost still penetrates.

Fills

the frozen lake;

cold, black, foreboding.

And streams

through random seams in rock,

where, unstoppably

it seeks its lowest point.


60% by weight.

We, too, are mostly water,

awash in ourselves.


So which am I,

frozen?

       ...filled?

                ...unstoppable?


I fear I am ice,

a hard impermeable core

just beneath the surface.

Touch does not penetrate

warmth is repulsed.

And, impervious to tears

my own are cold and sparse.


When the earth thaws

life returns;

microscopic, at first

then fungi, worms, greenery.

Even flowers bloom

in inhospitable soil

given air, water, sun;

a little warmth

and the landscape softens.


So will I thaw or melt?

Come into myself?

Or liquify

and seek my lowest point?

A deep underground well

of fossilized water

no one knows is there.


No comments: