Saturday, September 23, 2023

Stranger at the Door - Sept 22 2023

 

Stranger at the Door

Sept 22 2023


They said that the earth

was leaking deadly gas

through my basement floor.


That the sun's powerful rays

would scramble my DNA

and turn me monstrous.


That I'm swimming in a ubiquitous soup

of invisible pollution

from power lines

the microwave

my phone;

potent enough

to fry my brain,

over time

sedating me

into mind-controlled compliance.


Radon gas.

Cosmic rays.

Our own miracle technologies.


Little did I realize

it would be my own mistakes

that would do me in;

not electromagnetic rays,

but arrogance, and vanity

my failure to learn.

Thinking I know myself

when really, I don’t.


The universe

is not conspiring against me.

Rather, I am my worst enemy;

the stranger at the door

they warned us about.


No comments: