Monday, September 18, 2023

Gut Feeling - Sept 16 2023

 

Gut Feeling

Sept 16 2023


I remember being lost.


Peering through the welter of legs

with no idea where, or what comes next,

if this will ever end.

And anxious, as well

that I did something wrong

to have brought this on myself.


Not biographical memory,

but rather the feeling

of panic, confusion, fear.

My hand, slipping out of hers,

lost in distraction

as I wandered off.


Odd, how memory works.

The details change, the story evolves.

But the emotion remains,

feels just as present

just as strong.

The brain is clever

yet often forgets;

but the gut, never.

Perhaps

why it was once believed

that the soul resided there,

the stomach

was at our core.


Its memory fixed

just waiting to be triggered;

tightening

like a clenched fist,

the acid

still burning its way out.


No comments: