Monday, September 18, 2023

No Harm Done - Sept 15 2023


No Harm Done

Sept 15 2023


Hail the size of nickels

rattled the windows

and pinged off the trim,

ricocheted against the shingles

with a furious din

that sent the dogs cowering

and put me on edge,

loud enough

to drown out the thunder

of the sudden summer storm.


The downpour came after,

a waterfall

so hard and fast

the ground couldn't absorb it all,

filling shallow lakes

with cold muddy rain,

and scouring the gravel

as it ran down the driveway

in deep zig-zag streams.


But summer storms are short,

and before long

it was blue skies and warm sun.

No harm done.


Just like me, and my famous impatience

hair-trigger temper

whipsaw moods,

best to simply wait

until the skies clear.

And how can I ever complain

when I’m just as mercurial

as the weather these days?


Lightning, hail

furious rain,

my face

red with rage.


The summer storm

will pass soon enough.

And my sudden outburst

is best ignored,

no harm done.


No comments: