Monday, September 11, 2023

Cabbage Moth - Sept 5 2023

 

Cabbage Moth

Sept 5 2023





If I were as plain

as a cabbage moth

would I wish to be a butterfly?


Not the modest creature

with plain white wings,

but a gaudy exhibitionist

showing off

in the full light of day?


Not so, I think.

My life, too, is mostly nocturnal,

ghosting through the world

happily unnoticed.


I'm entranced by its flight;

fluttering erratically

this way and that.

Like a flying ace

from World War II

evading enemy fire,

but here a moth

living its short eventful life

evading bats and birds.


Caught in my headlamp

the delicate wings

are white against the night,

strobing in the light

as it zigs and zags its way.


I stick to the path,

maintain a steady pace.

Alone

in the dark

with all my imagined fears.

The hunter, or hunted, I wonder;

which one am I?


No comments: