Monday, September 11, 2023

Returning to its Roots - Aug 23 2023

 

Returning to its Roots

Aug 23 2023


The first leaf has turned.

Too early, I think;

but the planet is relentless,

and despite my protests

refuses to diverge

from its predetermined path.


It glows, as if lit from inside;

its rich ruby red

jewel-like

against the greenery.

But in too short a time

will lose its lustre,

drop

and brittle

and return to the soil.


Fall, and a kaleidoscope of leaves

in browns and reds and gold

carpeting the lawn.

Underneath, the grass is withering,

retreating to its roots

and a long dormant winter

under the snow.


The slow dark season

and a time to restore.

When I, too, will turn in on myself,

hibernating

before the fire

in my quiet cozy lair.


Winter

so suited to my temperament.

But it's also long and hard,

and in the cold and dark

I know I'll be just as ambivalent

as I am now.

That it will feel

as if the first green shoots

have taken too long,

yet still not long enough.


No comments: