Monday, September 11, 2023

No Great Wit - Sept 11 2023

 

No Great Wit

Sept 11 2023


I am reduced to a 6 year old

in this strange new country

where I fumble with a foreign tongue.


It's frustrating

not to mention humbling.

But oddly freeing, as well.

Because no one expects much of me.

Because I get to throw up my hands, and relax.

Because I'm forced to listen, observe, step back,

follow passively

where I used to lead.


In my day

6 year olds

only spoke when spoken to

did what we were told.

All I wanted

was to grow up

and have some control of my life.


But now, it's a relief to let go.

And I’m on vacation

so I can be anyone I want.

How refreshing,

to re-invent myself

as a little kid

in a grown man's body.


No great wit

or deep thoughts

are expected of me.

I am the slow one

who is indulged

and must depend on the kindness of others.


My loud voice

and dumb jokes,

off-the-cuff opinions

and tendency to interrupt

belong to the old version of me.

And now, unexpectedly young

I'm the listener

with next to nothing to say.


If only I'd learned earlier

that silence becomes me;

how holding my tongue

opens my ear.


No comments: