Monday, March 13, 2023

Too Soon - March 11 2023


Too Soon

March 11 2023


I waited by the phone.


But not too close,

because I wanted to appear indifferent

and planned to let it ring

several times, at least.


Too soon

to call myself.

Rushing in, after all

would betray my eagerness

neediness

desperation.


Desperation;

as in despair, loss of hope.

With only this thin electronic connection

to rescue me.


And when it did ring

   --  snatching it up

before the first trill had decayed,

my mouth dry and tongue thick   --

it turned out to be a wrong number.


The games we play.

The procrastination

calculation

and anxious waiting;

the clever tactics

fraught interactions

and after you's.


Or pick up the phone and call.

Because actions

speak louder than words.



No comments: