Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sinaloa - March 26 2023

 

Sinaloa

March 26 2023


This well-travelled tomato

arrived from Mexico

on a long train journey

having seen more of the world

than me.


An appetizing red,

but hard, tasteless, odourless.

Clearly, it has not travelled well

in its bulk container

from the industrial fields

of Sinaloa.


I think of August;

hot sun

and luscious tomatoes

that smell of summer

weighing down the vine.


The first bite

into a fat red ripe one.

A burst

of sweet savoury juice

dribbling down my chin,

the earthy scent

filling my head,

the pulp

toothy, but giving.

And this sorry specimen

after coming so far.


I gaze out

at the snow covered garden

and feel impatient.

Reflect

on the season of rest

and dormancy.

On all good things

in the fullness of time.


No comments: