Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Greedy for Light - March 28 2023

 

Greedy for Light

March 28 2023


Not snow blind.

Not yet;

but the spring sun

on the untouched snow

that still covers everything

bores into my retinae

like laser beams.

Even tightly closed,

my thin pale lids

feel transparent.


So much light

after a dark brooding winter,

when the earth was dormant

and I so adrift

lost track of the days.


But now

the sun is insistent

intrusive

unsparing.

I see the world through tears

and tightly narrowed eyes,

or stand with my back to the sun

a hand for shade.


Let there be light, God spoke,

and on the first day of creation

it was so.

Followed by land, water, life.

Each spring, the same,

as earth emerges

and pools of melt appear,

the first green shoots

poke through warming soil.


Or if not by God

then nature;

greedy for light

and born to grow.


No comments: