Wednesday, March 8, 2023

All The Way Down - March 8 2023

 

All The Way Down

March 8 2023


The light

at just the angle

to peel back the glassy surface

and let me see into the depths.

Clear water

all the way down.


I used to reach in a hand

and feel my way.

Drop a line, and fish.

Or take a risk

and dive blindly in.


But now, I lean over the edge

and watch.

No getting wet.

No refracted hand

stirring the water.

No fish

bothered or caught.


This distance

becomes me.

Here, in my element

beneath the column of air.


The sun

flooding down from above,

and the lake

a mirror

with its silver undone.


I'm a prose writer at heart; or more exactly, an essayist. So precision is my natural tendency, and my usual poem is one that can only be read one way. What I like about this one Sky is that each reader can make of them what they will. . . . Also shorter (hallelujah!); but somehow more space.

No comments: