Wednesday, March 1, 2023

8 Minutes - Feb 25 2023

 

8 Minutes

Feb 25 2023


The rug

faded by the sun.

Light

that pours in unobstructed

through the south-facing window

where it's lain for years.


Photons

which managed to escape

its vast gravitational pull,

then travelled

at the speed of light

for 8 earth minutes.

150 million k

through cold airless space

in a straight unwavering line;

the time it takes

to brush my teeth

make a sandwich

change the bed.


A monumental journey

and its ignominious end,

here

in the vibrant reds

and tightly woven wool

of my treasured Persian rug.


Which has faded unevenly,

lying half exposed

and half in permanent shadow.


Why I never rotated it, I'll never know.

But imagine

it's like everything else —

the familiar things

we no longer notice,

the incremental change

too slow to register.


And now that I have

it stares me in the face

day after day

like a silent rebuke.

One of the many minor regrets

and things beyond repair

a lifetime accumulates.


And the more I obsess

the easier it becomes

to forget about the major ones

that really mattered.


No comments: