Saturday, March 25, 2023

Subterranean - March 20 2023

 

Subterranean

March 20 2023


The after image

was burned into my retina.


But the eye perceives while the brain sees

and I was in denial;

only in sleep did it come alive,

turning all my dreams

nightmarish.


It’s said you can’t unsee.

Which is only true

if you don't practice forgetting.

And I am expert at this;

the sight

buried so deep

under mountains of earth

you'd think it must be permanent.


But the heat

so close to its molten core

just will not let it die,

the merciful death

one could only wish for.


Because eventually

it will erupt from under my feet

as red-hot rock

and clouds of toxic gas.

As tremors

and after shocks

and cracks in my foundation.


So now, I walk warily

on what I thought was solid ground

and could always be depended on.


Hyper-vigilant

       . . . bracing myself

                . . . looking out for broken glass.


No comments: