Tuesday, April 7, 2020


Top Left
April 1 2020


I have a drawer
where pencils collect,
an odd assortment, long and short.

Most are badly chewed;
teeth-marks, where the glossy paint is broken
deep impressions
in thin soft wood.

Octagonal pencils
like the kind we used in school.
And cylindrical ones
that all roll to the back of the drawer
as I yank it out.

The rubbers
are small hard nubs.
Once, they were soft and pink and pliable,
but over time
turned stiff and dry.

I can't recall
ever buying one.
Perhaps they've arrived
from the land of lost socks.
Or were pocketed, absentmindedly.
Or are somehow reproducing
in that dark desk drawer,
a bacchanal of pencils
when left to themselves.

Disposable, and given out free
a pencil gets no respect.
But what a brilliant device
that never blots the page
or runs out of ink
or requires any power.

And how satisfying
when sharpened just right,
a perfect point
not thin enough to break
yet not too blunt.

Write
and then erase.
My simple mistakes deleted
private thoughts expunged.

The greyish smudge
where I rubbed something out.

Or tearing through the page
where I couldn't have been quicker,
confessed too soon, too much.

No comments: