Tuesday, April 7, 2020


That Good Pain
April 2 2020


That was the thing about running.
I always knew I could make my escape
outrace the fire
keep myself sane.

Go get help
when the car slid,
fish-tailing into the ditch
on that cold winter night
on a back-country lane.

I remember the wind in my hair
and the sting of sweat.
The invincible feeling of strength
when my leg pushed-off
and my foot flexed
and I momentarily left the ground,
letting go, for a second
and stretching fully out.

Until it felt automatic.
When muscle memory
conveyed me without any thought,
no pain, no effort
no shortness of breath.

But now, even walking is hard.
Which is how it feels
as the years add up.
The slow incremental succession
of loss after loss
that redefines who you are
and revises what counts.

And the happy talk
which is almost as hard.
Urging you to focus
on gracefully ageing, and all that you've gained
from the long passage of time.
Reframe, as they say
count your blessings
ignore the empty glass.

Is that perspective
     . . . wisdom
            . . . just making the best of it?
That it could always be worse
and will surely get better
and isn't really all that bad?

According to anatomy
and cultural anthropology
we are built to walk.
Even shuffling, limping, hobbling along,
falling, crawling, or taking a pause.
Because immobility
is certain death,
so rest, but never stop.

Perhaps I still run in my sleep.
Like the dogs, who yelp and stiffen and twitch their legs
in canine dreams of pursuit.
But I don't remember mine
and there's no one here to tell.

I can only assume
that my inner runner
is still grinding out the miles.
That the pain I feel, getting out of bed
is the same as those final few steps,
that good pain you get
drenched in sweat
and rounding the last curve home.



A bad hip and questionable knee long ago turned me from a runner into a swimmer. But lately, even walking has become a challenge. The poem takes a bit of licence and over-dramatizes things: I rarely get pain in bed or at rest. But it's absolutely correct about self-image and redefinition: my physicality has always been a crucial part of my identity, so when I find myself walking like a disabled 90 year old man, both my sense of self and self-esteem are fundamentally threatened.

We are built to walk. That's what our hunter/gatherer ancestors did to survive. They were long distance machines, and we are still probably the best endurance athletes among all the land animals. Slow, but steady. There's the sophisticated architecture of our feet; the mechanical advantage conferred by the achilles tendon; our ability to sweat; and the advantage walking and running on 2 legs, so we can continue take full breaths at speed – our bipedalism trading-off speed for endurance. (This has to do with the mechanics of the diaphragm, which favours us over 4-legged animals.)

When I wrote outrace the fire I had a particular incident in mind: the recent wildfires in California, when some old people burned to death in their homes. I wondered how that could have happened. Have people allowed themselves to become that unfit they can't move faster than a fire they've been told is coming? Throughout my life I've felt confident that I could handle myself in any emergency; that I wouldn't depend on others. But now when I go for a walk, there is the sober realization that I couldn't outrun anything; and even a slow-moving fire would get me if I didn't have either a vehicle or a navigable road. I don't like this feeling of helplessness and dependency. I need to get this hip fixed now!

No comments: