Friday, April 24, 2020


Signs of Spring
April 24 2020


One spring
it was a sapsucker
hammering loudly against the house.
I have since learned 
that these are male birds
in the frenzy of heat,
avian lotharios
displaying how loud they are
for the sake of sex.

Another, it was deer
emerging in curious abundance,
ghosting out from trees
and dashing across the roads;
stepping nimbly on the blacktop,
stopping to lick
its winter salt.
After a hard season, close to starved;
in moth-eaten coats,
ribs showing
eyes dull.

And the peepers, of course,
who are fortified with antifreeze
and chorus every spring
no matter what;
even when snow persists
and the lake remains frozen.
In cold rivulets
that have already begun to flow.
In small pools
in the forest underbrush,
warmed by decomposition
and strong April sun.

Soon, the geese will return,
cantankerous, in their ragged V's
as they jostle and honk.
They alight in freshly thawed fields,
strip-mining them
for grass and seeds and weeds
in an all-you-can eat buffet,
while liberally depositing
their foul waste.

But my first sign of spring
is the return of baseball
that most literary of sports.
The crack of the bat
the swell of the crowd
the announcer's southern drawl.
A game on the radio
in the theatre of the mind
from some lush green diamond,
driving at night
on a quiet back-road;
the heater's steady hum
the dashboard's warm glow.

Where the peepers
go quiet all at once
as my car approaches.
And where I keep careful watch
for the deer who slip across
under cover of dark.



I'm pleased how this turned out: each stanza having its own character, each animal representing a different sensibility. So there is the sexual heat of those single-minded birds, the desperation of the deer, and the persistence and resilience of the peepers. And finally, there are the social but fractious geese, as annoying as they are charismatic.

When I started, I had no idea where this poem was going. All I knew was I wanted to get at the sense of spring as an opening up, a beginning. I recalled my experience with the sapsuckers (it was more than once!), and this seemed a good start. After that, I felt committed to more animals!

I've written once before about their hammering, which gave me pause. Am I plagiarizing myself? (Is such a thing even possible?!!) ...But then, why not revisit? I often do, with the hope that the second try (or third) will turn out better: keeping at it, until I finally get it right!

When I'd gone on long enough, and felt I risked losing the reader, I couldn't resist my favourite and abiding sign of spring: opening day. How could I leave that out, even if it didn't quite fit with the rest of the poem? Especially this year, when the Covid-19 pandemic has indefinitely delayed baseball.


After that, I felt obliged to end with a stanza that called back to the animals. Which I hope cinches the poem tight, and gives a sense of completion.

No comments: