Friday, April 17, 2020


Quarantine
April 17 2020

(from the Italian quarantina giorni - “space of 40 days”)


Forty days and forty nights
wandering in the wilderness.

Forty days of rain.

Forty years in the desert,
forty weeks to be pregnant,
and forty years
in the reign of kings.

So naturally, the Venetians chose forty days
for quarantine.
Ships cooling at anchor
to clear the air of miasma;
an arbitrary number, perhaps
but hardly a random one.

And in a time of contagion
we are also urged to remain
within our own four walls.
Close quarters
for a fortnight
alone with ourselves.

The reclusive and hermetic
are fully onboard.
The introverts and homebodies
have hardly noticed.
While the monastic and cloistered
have yet to be told.

Only extroverts suffer.
The big personalities
who are envied and admired,
the outgoing and gregarious
who invariably arrive
with a slap on the back
an outstretched hand
and a ready smile.

While I've been preparing for this
all my life.
Not sleeping in a small stone cell
on the cold floor
in unwashed robes.
Not forbidden to talk
or lost in prayer
or renouncing wealth.
But monastic, nevertheless.
A solitary sort
who has been on his own
for much more than 40 years,
and who takes solace
in solitude.

A small vessel
you would hardly notice
anchored far from shore,
drifting in a fitful wind
rocking on the swell.
Where I look out
on the great bustling metropolis
and record my private thoughts.
Where I listen to the lives of strangers
and try to make sense of it;
how sound carries
with surprising clarity
over open water,
especially at night.

As if I were an anthropologist,
nose pressed to the glass
of my one-way mirror.
Or had come from some foreign land,
observant
detached
and often somewhat baffled
by what's happening on shore. 
Or had dropped down
from some other planet
in human form,
a resident alien
who is never quite at home.

A moat
a boat
a man.
A quarantine
that lasts and lasts.



When I started to look into the history of quarantine, I quickly learned what a mystical number “forty” is. In many traditions, but especially the Bible. I hope I didn't go on too long with the references. (Because beginning a poem with tedious lists and long litanies is never a good idea if you want to draw in readers!) Of course, in this time of coronavirus, we're told fourteen days; but that's science, not superstition, and it's the latter that carries the weight of culture and compulsion.

I think I used every variation on the theme, but very intentionally left out the stigmatized one: “loner”. Although frankly, I think it's the word that describes me best, and is the most honest. But I dislike its unavoidable connotation: the loner as axe-murdering psychopath. And with these physical distancing and self-isolation measures, that truth is that my essential lifestyle has hardly changed. (That is, if you think “lifestyle” isn't too grandiloquent a word to describe what I do!)

In this poem the original practice of quarantine – a ship anchored offshore – becomes a convenient metaphor for a loner like me. That was the part I most enjoyed writing, and it was my stumbling into it that actually rescued the poem – after numerous false starts – from being unceremoniously chucked in the nearest wastebasket. (Which is also a convenient metaphor, since these days I've taken to writing directly on the computer: the keyboard, instead of my traditional habit of pen on blank white paper.)

No comments: