Wednesday, April 22, 2020


Rufus
Aug 22 2020




When Rufus was a new pup
we would hike through the woods
with all the other dogs.
And while she was thrilled
just to be among them
she was mostly ignored.

It was a golden fall
and I recall every day as perfect,
sunlight slanting through the trees
and a soft carpet of leaves
underfoot.

She would dash ahead
on her stubby legs
until she was exhausted;
fearless, in her naïveté
and in a constant state of wonder.

And I would walk behind
my little brown dumpling,
her excited tail erect
and her round pink butthole
staring me in the face;
cute, but unbecoming
and decidedly impolite.

Until she tired.
When I would lie supine
on the forest floor
and she would cuddle against my chest;
eyes drifting shut
breaths coming quickly.
And in a couple of seconds
she was out,
slipping innocently into sleep
with an ease I could only envy.

Parents always tell me
how soon their kids grow up,
how early life
seems all a blur.
Which is what's best about a dog —
they get big even faster than us
and then they grow old
but they never really grow up.

Rufus,
my girl dog who has a boy's name
but doesn't know the difference.

Rufus,
who doesn't care what anybody thinks
about her private parts
or bother with secrets.

She still walks
waggling her behind
with her tail held high.
And I still call her my little dumpling butthole.
Even though
she is now a big dog;
who has learned to be civilized,
and is not so surprised by the world,
and can easily
outrun us all.


As I was re-reading my last poem, Skookum, I noticed the lost opportunity for even more word-play in the first stanza: the obvious word “cuddly”; and then my pet name, which was (and is) “little dumpling butthole”. Except, as I started to write, I realized that I'd somehow dumbly conflated my two dogs, and had unwittingly started a poem about Rufus I never intended to write. Congenitally averse to waste, of course, I couldn't just leave it alone. And I'm glad I didn't. Because Rufus deserves her own poem. And because I feel so gratified to have memorialized in words that truly golden fall and our first explorations together.

No comments: