Thursday, April 9, 2020


Passport Photo
April 8 2020


In the passport photo
no smiles are allowed.
I'm surprised
I haven't also been asked
to shave-off my beard
put my glasses aside
or practice looking dead-eyed,
like a haughty runway model
with that thouand mile stare.

It seems what they want
is the Platonic version of me,
the template, stripped
of all my conceits
and precious affectations,
the essential ideal
to which I've never yet lived-up.

No human frailty
or hint of happiness.
A seasoned world traveller
who is unfailingly serene,
a model citizen
of my country of origin.

So I look sternly formal.
Like those painfully posed photos
from long ago
when exposures were long,
and pictures were taken
only on special occasions
in a borrowed suit and tie.

A head shot
looking straight into the camera
with an unwavering gaze.
Government approved,
as if I, too, were a faceless bureaucrat
stamping visas
processing forms.

Who knew
a smile could be subversive?
That insurrection begins
with a glint in the eye
and a tentative glimmer of teeth.
A flush in the cheeks
a tug at the lips
an innocent slip of the tongue.



In the early days of the corvid-19 quarantine, the New Yorker published a collection of essays under the title Dispatches From a Pandemic (April 13, 2020). The author Gary Shteyngart's contribution was called Adjusting to Prophylactic Life, Under Coronavirus Quarantine. The closing paragraph – which won't make any sense out of context, but that's not why I'm quoting it – contained a fleeting reference to a passport photo, and as soon as I read it this poem started writing itself. Which is how inspiration poems work: all they need is an unaccountable hook, and the gears start turning uncontrollably. They may not produce the best poems; but they are the most fun to write. Anyway, to give credit where it's due, here is that paragraph in full:

During the early days of the New Truth, I want to grow out a beard that will be the envy of the local farmers. But before I do I go down to the village and get a passport photo taken for the After Times. They make you take off your glasses for passport photos, but I always forget: are you allowed to smile anymore? I think of life under the table and the laughter of my boy. The corners of my mouth crinkle. Koo-ka-ree-koo! ♦”

In the interest of correctness, I should note that glasses actually are to be removed. And also, I believe, smiles are now allowed: a minor technicality that I could hardly allow to get in the way of a good poem!

No comments: