Thursday, September 24, 2026

Wonder - Sept 4 2026

 

Wonder

Sept 4 2026


I watch the procession of ants

move with surprising speed

along its wending path,

an unbroken stream

of shiny black automatons 

who rarely wander

or seem confused.


Of course, I watch, but don't interfere.

While they are oblivious to me,

looking down from a distance

we could never bridge;

like an invisible God

they never want nor need.


They scurry frantically,

focused, busy

feelers twitching,

going about their business

as if there’s no stopping them.


An ant lives a purposeful life,

in service

to the colony.

Not meaningful, as I would think of it,

but at least an instrumental part 

of a collective mind

focussed on survival.

There are no individuals here,

no indulgence

in existential angst

or crises of identity.


I think of the queen,

a bloated laying machine

served by her courtiers. 

But in this egalitarian world

caste has no stigma

royalty no privilege

  — everyone works,

everyone follows the program

accorded by birth.


Not that I envy them

 — I enjoy my personhood

despite all the baggage

humans are saddled with.

But still, there is much to be said for purpose

as well as certainty.

A chemical trail, directing you.

A whole, of which you’re a part.

A place you belong

and are headed back to.


No pronouns to confuse things

 — no I, he, or you

only it.


No heartache or bliss,

no wish for more.


No mercy for the sick

or succour for the injured.


And no stolen minute

that stretches into three

in which you needn’t prove your worth

or be productive;

standing quietly

all by yourself

looking down in wonder.


https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/2026/10/modern-life-maxxing-antidote/688344/?gift=7KKUTeeJruMo0n11oQFrLugQZJfEEQwXRMzSqbVtgjo


No comments: