Thursday, September 24, 2026

Walking on a Late August Night - Aug 30 2026

 

Walking on a Late August Night

Aug 30 2026


The cloud crept in at dusk

like a well-quilted comforter

with plenty of loft,

containing the warmth

of a clear summer day

all night long.


It was T-shirt weather

beneath the overcast,

but felt uncomfortably claustrophobic

in the darkness of a starless sky

where the full moon

was just a lighter smudge.


It’s as if the world had closed in on itself,

reduced to this small contained space;

a ceiling

I can almost reach up and touch,

and cloud

curving down to earth

at the end of my gravel lane.

I should feel protected here

 — lightly dressed

late at night

walking alone —

not suffocated

in the closeness 

beneath this formless overcast

of insubstantial vapour.


How I pine for a crisp fall night

the crystalline skies of winter.

The bite of a north wind,

and thick cozy clothes

to burrow into. 


No comments: