Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Holding Up the Line - Sept 25 2026

 

Holding Up the Line

Sept 25 2026


I’m somewhere in the middle

as the line behind me builds.

And while annoyed by the wait, I feel a little smug

eyeing the late-comers

who drift in one-by-one.

After all, could always be worse.


We take baby steps,

shuffling ahead

while protecting our personal space

  — as if these were the strangers

our mothers warned us against.

Actually, not even glancing up,

because eye contact 

might risk inviting more.


Although there's always an outgoing sort

who’s irrepressibly chatty.

I have to admit, I wish I could be as happy

as she seems to be,

instead of introverted

taciturn

and too anxious to engage.


Some fidget and stew,

as if to project

how irate they feel.

The type who’d demand to see the manager

if anyone there

was even listening,

if the harried attendant

wasn’t busy enough.


Some stare into screens,

spending time no differently

than they do every day.


I catch a young couple flirting

out the corner of my eye

and feel a little envious.

While an older one has their hands full

corralling restless kids

tempted by the candy bars

and salty snacks,

cleverly placed

at arm's-length

on either side.

Like a diorama, in real-time

of love’s starry-eyed beginning

and its sleep-deprived end.


I stand still

but hardly stoical,

willing the line to move

and stealing glances

to see how far to go.

The groceries

perilously balanced in my hands

are getting heavier,

and as time ticks down, I feel increasingly trapped

in this over heated building

and this claustrophobic line.


How much of life is waiting?

If not in line

then for the one big break,

your one great love,

that mythical time

when all the work is finally done

and you can become

who you were meant to be.


No endless to-do list,

no putting in time.

No bumping up against a stranger

who gives the evil eye.

And no one

like the confused old man

at the self-scanning machine,

looking vacantly for help 

and holding up the line.


Just to clear the record. I am an introvert, but not very shy. (Yes, they’re 2 different things.) And, when I get the chance, hardly taciturn. 

Actually, stuck in a line with strangers I’ll never see again, the anonymity seems to give me permission to be uncharacteristically outgoing. Sometimes, I’ll actually initiate conversation: when I’m in the mood,  just an amusing observation we can easily share. Makes the wait easier. Keeps me occupied. Humanizes what can be an uncomfortable proximity. 

Indeed, a lot of life is waiting. How often are we urged (or urge ourselves) to hurry up, only to end up waiting?

(I think it’s actually called a “self-checkout” machine. But for some reason self-scanning sounded  better.)


No comments: