Thursday, September 24, 2026

Accident - Aug 22 2026

 

Accident

Aug 22 2026


They called it an accident.

As if the collision happened

like an egg

slipping from my  hand,

an act of God

while something distracted him.


No lapse in attention.

No one at fault.

No alcohol involved.


But like an unintended birth

and the accidental child,

the consequence

will last a lifetime.


Words have meaning.

Twisted metal and broken glass

are real.

Accidents

only feel that way.


Nevertheless, shit happens.

And even if the intersection in time and space

defied the odds

it can

if the smallest chance exists.

And you thought snake eyes

were a long shot

at 1 in 36!


But didn’t Einstein say

God does not play dice with the universe;

that a thing could be in 2 places

at the same time

offended his ordered mind.

Not mine,

imagining it possible

I might have been somewhere else

that very instant,

a quantum particle

behaving illogically

Einstein or not.


So is it an accident 

that someone as methodical as me,

who’d gamble

on only sure things,

still somehow lost?


A poem for the pedant in me. And this is one of my many pet peeves. Which may not strike you as worth belabouring, but at least I relished the challenge of turning a pedantic pet peeve into a poem! 

Although I would never have written this if I hadn’t seen this article: 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/car-accident-brain-injury/619227/?gift=7KKUTeeJruMo0n11oQFrLuwlcGiygTFWxQBjToiOybU

I like precision in language. Words have meaning. So I’ve come to be very particular about this distinction. Highway collisions are not accidents. Something went wrong, somebody failed, there is almost always fault. 

A collision is not a little whoopsy. And the consequences are real.

The last line, though, introduces a contrary note. Because the subject of the poem did lose, despite doing everything possible to protect himself. So is perfect control an illusion? Are we not subject to randomness, which is just another way of saying accident? I don’t mean fate — as in predetermined, or some kind of personal destiny —  and not God watching over us, but sheer happenstance. Of course control is a conceit. Of course there are accidents. Shit happens, after all.

In the case of collisions, though, most aren’t. 


No comments: