Dust Gets in Your Eye
Sept 21 2026
I rarely cry.
Sure, dust gets in your eye
allergy season.
But the kind that doesn’t stop?
When you can’t breathe,
gulping air
as if drowning
in warm salty tears?
When snot runs out your nose
and into your mouth,
spluttering and choking
and not caring how it looks?
When your face is clenched in misery
body wracked with sobs,
frown lines locked
as if they’ll harden there?
It can feel cathartic,
but you can also feel
unworthy of such grief.
It can bring you closer;
or leave you feeling alone
to be so deeply touched
by something so small.
Small, because that was the last brake left
holding the floodgates closed.
When the dam
that all those years kept you in control
let go,
and the stoical man
who struck others as guarded and cold
broke down
. . . showing, for once
real emotion.
They say only humans cry for no reason.
Who knows why evolution
has made us weep.
Is it to bring us together?
Because we know too much?
Or because words
are sometimes not enough?
It was nothing, really.
No one died
no child suffered,
nothing was lost.
But still, I cried, bawled, sobbed.
Perhaps next time
it will take more
then come more easily.
When I won’t pretend
there’s something in my eye,
won’t turn away
hide the tears
or wipe them furtively off.
My beautiful dog Rufus is still strong and healthy in her 11th year. But the signs of age are there. And since the average lifespan of her breed is 10.7 years, I increasingly feel the anticipatory grief of her inevitable death.
So I identified with this story. Especially the opening line of the subheading: I rarely cry. And then identified with what might seem to some the exorbitant grief at the death of an animal — even a beloved one. That is, the some who do not understand this kind of love, thinking that only our fellow humans are worthy of it.
In the poem, it’s something minor that opens the floodgates: all the pent up emotion of a stoical person who doesn’t cry, and the unfamiliar feeling of simply giving in to it.
Evolution doesn’t favour a trait for no reason. So I think humans cry emotional tears because it allows us to grieve together and strengthen community: a form of communication that doesn’t need language. As social animals who depend on each other for survival, little is more important than strong social bonds and tribal solidarity.
https://globe2go.pressreader.com/article/281754161230869

No comments:
Post a Comment