Saturday, April 30, 2022

God's Children - April 30 2022

 

God's Children

April 30 2022


The players circle,

heads bowed

eyes shut

hands held.

Before the big game

they have gathered to pray,

even the sinners

and non-believers

and those of wavering faith.


Because this is teamwork.


Because this is how it's done.


Because we're human

and need to belong.

Especially the young,

teenage boys and girls

who, more than most

can't bear standing out.


And what harm can there be

in a few pious words

a reassuring ritual?

Even if God doesn't listen.

Or hears

but believes in free will.


The other team has gathered as well.

Everyone wishing

for no one to be injured

for help in doing their best.

But victory?

No one dare,

because greed is a sin,

and winning's unworthy of prayer,

and isn't it the meek

who shall, in the end, inherit?


I look at my feet

and hold my tongue.

An atheist

pretending to pray,

imagining

the deafening chorus

of human voices flooding the world,

rising up to heaven

every second, day-after-day

hoping to be heard.


God's children at play.

Linebackers

making tackles, talking trash,

fans

in face paint and team regalia

picking fights in the stands.


And after each huddle

a halfback scans the crowd

with tightly focused eyes.

The divorced dad

who never showed up

despite all his promises.


I was scanning the articles in the online Atlantic, and this one caught me eye: Let Coach Kennedy Pray. I didn't read it, but assume it has something to with prayer in schools, religious neutrality by the state, and the larger issue of freedom of vs freedom from religion. Didn't need to read, because those four words were more than enough to make me want to riff on the subject and see where it would go.

Once again, I will note that I am not writing autobiography. First of all, I wasn't good enough to play halfback! And second, my parents never divorced. (Didn't come watch me play, either. But then, I never expected that, so there was never any disappointment or disillusion.) . . .Although it's not totally made-up: the atheism is all me!

No comments: