Saturday, April 16, 2022

Afraid of Colour

 

Afraid of Colour

April 11 2022


All earth-tone.


No primary colours,

no shock

of loud cocksure paint.


Finely grained wood, stained dark

that gives the place

a warm grounded feel.


Sandy ceramic tile

so you hardly notice the floors,

and the ceiling done in beige

with some innocuous name

like tawny, tan, or umber.


It would seem I'm afraid of colour.

Apparently not one

to make bold statements

take centre stage.

Who prefers quiet,

restful on the eyes,

lying low.


Except for a single piece

on the glass-top table

of eye-catching art.

A birdhouse

painted by hand

by a long lost acquaintance

in bright brash colours.

It sits in the centre, all alone,

unapologetic

and self-assured.


No bird, however.

There used to be one,

perched on a small round peg

that protrudes out front.

Who may very well have fled

to the well-shaded calm

of some cool green glade;

like me

a delicate creature

thin-boned and airy

who felt overwhelmed.

Who could no longer live

in that gaudy house

with its busy decoration.


Either that, or the dog ate it.


Bit either way, I quite like this piece.

An eye-catching surprise

in a restful setting

of subdued pastels.

A loud splash of colour

in a quiet life.


A thing of beauty,

as well as the only thing about the place

worthy of a poem.

The one fearless choice

I somehow managed to make.


When I began, I wasn't sure where this poem was going to end up. Which, actually, is more the rule than the exception. My only thought, as I looked around the room, was that my colour choices – restful as they are for someone like me – had certainly not been very adventurous. So I suppose the ingredients for a poem about fear were already there. I like the very indirect way it approaches this rather fraught subject. "Fraught", because what could be more emasculating than to announce that your life has been too much ruled by fear! (The dog did eat it, btw. Just as the other one ate my night guard!)

No comments: