Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Detached - Feb 21 2023

 

Detached

Feb 21 2023


My tenuous link

to the outside world

reminds me of faith.


A belief

in the unseeable.


A reliance

on a thin tether

of electromagnetic waves

delivered from some distant place;

like Moses

with his 10 commandments

descending from the mountaintop.


The disembodied voice.

The flashy showmanship.

The indulgences

and hypocrites

and list of strict do nots.


And so long as I cleave to this theology

I can live detached,

a pseudo-reality

of image and sound,

a simulacrum of life.


Here, in my hermitage;

a refuge

of solitude and reclusion,

but with all the comforts of home.

Where, like a voyeur

I eavesdrop on the world,

hearing

but never heard.


A vow of silence

in which I had no choice.

If only I could raise my voice

in the vernacular.

Pin my thesis to the door.

Overturn the tables

where the money changers

serve Mammon

and his lesser gods.


No comments: