Thursday, February 2, 2023

Breaking Point - Jan 31 2023

 

Breaking Point

Jan 31 2023


I didn't offer advice.

Kept my opinions buttoned up.

Tried to listen

with a sympathetic ear.


But I find it difficult

to bite my tongue,

not rush in

and problem solve.

Because even though I know

not every question needs an answer,

the urge to fix things, make it better

comes so naturally to me.


When all she wanted

was to be heard,

a blank slate

on which to draw.

To break the chalk

with the pressure;

snapping it off

with a short sharp pop

and sending it flying across the room.

To rake her nails across the board

just to signal her distress.

The thing said

burden shared.


The boil lanced,

and the bad humors

that have been slowly poisoning her

exposed to the air

and somehow detoxified.


So I felt her distress,

nodding my head

as she talked,

making sympathetic noises.


Nothing solved,

but the relief in her face

was obvious.

And I went away wondering

why I can't do the same,

ventilate

expose myself

trust.


How instead, I keep it all contained;

letting things fester

and the pressure build up,

until the pain

becomes unbearable.


The breaking point

that even the most stoic

can no longer disguise,

let alone hide

from themselves.


No comments: