Sunday, February 19, 2023

My Awkward Phase - Feb 17 2023

 

My Awkward Phase

Feb 17 2023


I'm still in my awkward phase.

You'd have thought I'd grown out of it, by now;

but here I am an adult

and I still feel an imposter,

not grown-up at all.


I'm surprised

they haven't seen through my facade.

An adolescent

fearfully peering out

from a grown man's body,

the child

inside us all.


Somehow, everyone else figured it out.

Grew into themselves.

Became their parents,

even if it was

the last thing they intended.

Others regressed

as age caught up with them.

And some, like me, are arrested;

the missed steps

and squandered opportunities

forever lost.


Is there something to be said

for this in-between state,

some good that can come?

Or is it too late?

I always imagined

the fullness of time would settle me;

but I'm still too far behind,

and now, whatever time is left

is so much less

than what's been lost.


No comments: