Thursday, February 16, 2023

Hand to Mouth - Feb 16 2023

 

Hand to Mouth

Feb 16 2023


The cutlery remained

as it was placed,

neatly flanking the plate

and set perfectly straight,

like well-behaved children

sitting erect.


I've done it myself,

backed-up a step

and eyed the knife and fork critically,

then nudged them just enough

to get it right;

like a picture frame

that doesn't quite line up.

As if the symmetry

of a well-set table

was an end in itself.


So why do I love

eating with my hands?

Instead of cold hard metal

and the clash of steel on teeth,

it's sticky fingers and warm hands,

the intimate act

of skin on tongue

and probing lips.


French fries, especially;

brought to my mouth

one-at-a-time

and savoured with all my senses.

Even meat

has more flavour

eaten this way.

Sopping up gravy,

and chocolate cake,

long strips of bacon

hot and crisp.

Although I admit,

ice cream and peas

not so much,

while jello's tough

soup impossible.


I was a well-behaved child.

But when no one was looking

I'd cut out the middle man

and furtively regress.

And now, living on my own

I dispense with the niceties,

living happily

hand to mouth.


And couldn't help but notice

how all the customers stared

at the man eating pizza

with a knife and fork.


No comments: