Saturday, May 28, 2022

Incognito - May 28 2022

 

Incognito

May 28 2022


A wall of fog moved in

as I slept,

like a stealthy intruder

under cover of night.


Silent and slow

it rolls on unstoppably,

an insubstantial mist

that seems unaccountably solid.


Everything clouded

by a dull grey shroud.

So dense, even I am lost in it;

my hand

reaching out, and feeling my way

seems unattached,

a pale simulacrum

surreal flesh.


But what surprises me

is the distortion of sound;

its energy absorbed

and intensity softened,

the source

impossible to localize.


Which leaves me

feeling cut-off from the world;

as if I, as well

had become insubstantial

and nothing around me was real.


Yet also oddly comforted;

the world softened,

and the urgency

of the day-to-day

mercifully on hold.

Because it's quiet here

and easy on the eyes.

Because I feel protected

with the cool mist 

enfolding me.

And because, like the fog

I walk on cat's paws

with light-footed stealth.


As if a cloak of invisibility

had enveloped me,

and I could ghost through the world

unheard

and unobserved,

not even sure of myself.


No comments: