Saturday, May 28, 2022

A Little Good News - May 27 2022

 

A Little Good News

May 27 2022


You can't pick up a newspaper

without wondering about your fellow man.


Is it that bad news sells?


That good people, doing virtuous things

and outcomes you'd expect

is not novel enough

to count as news?


That puffball pieces

about dogs lost and found

and the high school glee club

are scorned

by the hardcore newsmen

who cover politics and war

and Wall Street shenanigans?


Of course, few of us remain

who read a newspaper every day;

most, at most, a headline

in a social media feed,

a poll

about celebrities acting badly.


Then those

who don't believe a word.

Who see conspiracy everywhere,

feel victimized

and self-righteous.


Who watch TV

that tells them what they want to hear

and what to think.

Descend down dark twisted rabbit holes

of deranged imaginings

and paranoid thought,

soak up ideologies

bled of nuance and compassion.


And the apathetic many

who claim they “aren't political”,

when choosing not to be engaged

is very much that.

Because citizenship

is more than paying taxes

cutting the lawn

picking-up after the dog.


So, has exposure left me cynical

uncaring, desensitized?

Or am I a disillusioned idealist,

my misanthropy deepened

morale barely breathing?


The headline today

is about 19 children killed

in a shooting rampage

in faraway Texas.

Once again,

young men

easy weapons

mass death.


Meanwhile, the lost dog and her family

were reunited.

The video touches my heart;

Fido wagging

licking manically

and dancing in tight excited circles

while the man is down on his back,

happily overwhelmed

by the big shaggy mutt.


But America is broken,

and a little good news

can't mend the hurt.


In her column commenting on the Uvalde Texas shooting, Elizabeth Renzetti wrote those very trenchant 3 words: America is broken. I read her the following day, and ever since have felt that there is really nothing more to say.

I shared the first draft with Ms Renzetti. Here's the note that introduced it:

I write poems every day, but assiduously avoid political ones. Because if anything, the writing is an antidote to my cynicism and despair. But this one started to write itself, so I let it have its way.

Your words (as noted in the short commentary that will accompany the final version on my blog (brianspoetryjournal.blogspot.ca)) have remained with me, and provided a perfect ending. No elaboration needed. Less is always more in poetry. So I leave it to the reader to think the many ways our southern neighbour is indeed broken. Because if I were to list them, the poem would quickly become unreadable. The polity and culture are broken. And so are our hearts.

Anyway, I thought it only right to share this with you. At least what I have so far.


No comments: